Friday, May 11, 2012

what's trending?


Twitter?  Don't get it.  You know what I do get?  Being a stay at home mom (hashtag?)

I want to talk about what is new and hot in the world of stay at home parenting.

Baby Einstein.  So it's not totally new, and there has been some backlash regarding it's learning DVD's.  That's not what I'm here to talk about.  Baby Einstein has a power over Owen.  Somehow they have taken Mozart, Beethoven, and Bach and turned it into melodies to soothe the angriest of beasts.  Angry beast is how I refer to Owen when he is "in a mood."  In fact, I would stand to argue many wild animal attacks could have been avoided if only the victim had been in possession of a Baby Einstein CD.

Baby Einstein is, for lack of a better phrase, baby chloroform.  It must be that it is 80% xylophone and 20% Oboe.  Those lullabies make me feel mellow.  In fact, after blasting it to calm down Owen, Nick and I both sat in a dazed stupor in the front seat.  Snapping out of it I leaned over to Nick and whispered "The Baby Einstein is making me sleepy" to which he answered "I could straight up fall asleep right now" which would have been less than ideal, as he was driving.  We resorted to beat boxing and singing scat to the classical melodies to stay awake, which we have memorized from listening to on repeat.

So yeah, Baby Einstein.  It's a CD every mom should have in her arsenal to whip out in moments of desperation.  Like when the baby is screaming in the back seat after he hulk ripped his pacifier out of it's pacifier leash and thrown it halfway across the car.  That's when you need to turn on Clare De Lune xylophone style.

hashtagbabyeinstein



1 comment:

Filia Dei said...

When Owen is 12 and a half, Baby Einstien will still make you sleepy.

I'm not joking.